2, Ostrovskogo sq.
The Alexandrinsky Theatre building, created by K. Rossi, is one of the outstanding samples of Russian Classicism. It plays the main part in the ensemble of Ostrovskogo Square.
During the re-planning of the Anichkov estate in 1817-1818 a big city square appeared between the Public Library and the Garden of the Anichkov Palace. For more than 10 years, from 1816 to 1827, Rossi designed a number of projects of reconstruction and building of this square, planned the constructions a city theatre at it. The final variant of the project was established on 5 April 1828. The theatre building was started that year. Its ceremonial opening took place on 31 August 1832.
The theatre building is located in the heart of the square and its main facade faces Nevsky Prospect. The rusticated walls of the ground floor serve as a kind of a socle for the majestic colonnades decorating the facades.
The six-column colonnade of the main facade stands out clearly against the wall placed further backwards. The traditional protruding classical portico is here replaced with an impressive loggia. The semicircular niches hold the figures of the Muses ? Terpsichore and Melpomene ? and are ended by a wide sculpture brieze, rounded the building. The attic decorated with the figures of the glories in crowned with Apollo's carriage symbolizing the success of the national art.
The side facades of the theatre and the South facade closing the perspective of the Zodchego Rossi street are ceremonial and effective. Working out the project of the theatre Rossi concentrated his attention on volume and area decision, its monumentality and expressivity of its exterior.
Inside the building the hall is the most interesting one. Its propositions are well found. The elements of the first texture decoration were saved here, including a decorative golden carving here of boxes by the scene and by central box. The circle barriers are decorated by golden ornaments, made in the second half of 19th century.
Sculpture plays an important role in facade decorating. It was made by S. Pimenov, V. Demut-Malinovsky and A. Triskorin. Apollo's carriage was chased from sheet copper to a model by S. Pimenov at Alexandrovsky Iron foundry.
By the order of the Empress Elizaveta Petrovna Russian Theatre for presenting comedies and tragedies was established on 30 August 1756. According to the order of Court office the name became shorter: Russian Theatre (since 6 January 1759). According to the order of the Empress Ekaterina II the name has been added by "Court" since 20 December 1766.
19th century started. As for the decision and rules of inner ruling of the Empress Theatre Direction it was called Russian Drama Troupe of the Empress Saint-Petersburg Theatres (since 3 March 1825).
The First World War started. The city was remanded into Petrograd, The Empress Theatres - Petrograd ones, after February Revolution by the order of the commissar of the Temporal Committee of the State Duma N. Lvov since 6 March 1917 the theatre has become Russian Drama Troupe of State Petrograd Theatres. Since 7 December 1919 People's Commissariat of Education declared it The State Academic Associated Theatre. Since 9 February 1937 when the country celebrated the hundred anniversary of Pushkin's death, by the decree of the Central Executive Committee of the USSR the theatre became the Pushkin State Academic Drama Theatre.
The Alexandrovsky title is well-known according to the title of the building: a new building in the center of the capital was called so in honor of his wife Alexandra Fiodorovna by the decree of Nikolay I on 13 August 1832. This theatre is ruled by the building. Rossi rules. A ceremonial white columned facade with Apollo's carriage rules. A hall with brilliant acoustics where light whisper on the stage is heard from any place, where words come without a visible tension, rules. A golden portal as if it is destined for being an eternal aesthetic frame for the performance, rules. The legends and facts of that stage rule. This theatre rules itself. It rules its actors, who are so different. It rules its producers ? it doesn't matter whether they want it or not. It rules the audience, which was different in different times, but it has always been the guest.
The first directors of the theatre were Sumarokov and F. Volkov. The rising popularity of the Petersburg Drame Troupe made the government to start the construction of a special building, where the theatre has got the title Alexandrinskiy. The best performances of Russian and foreign dramatic art were staged there; the best actors performed: V. Karatygin, A. Martynov, E. Semionova, V. Strelkaya, P. Strepetova, V. Asenkova, M. Dalskiy, M. Savina, V. Kommisarzhevskaya, V. Davydov, Y. Yurjev, E. Korchagina-Alexandrovskaya.
The troupe has been aged since 1756. In that hall Pushkin, Belinsky, Turgenev and Blok used to sit and performances. Here Ostrovsky came to the spectators applauses after the premieres of almost all his plays. Chekchov was happy here at the performance of his "Ivanov". Hundreds of other noble people whose names decorate Russian history were the fans of the art of this theatre.
Life of many generations is connected with the theatre, crowned with Apollo's carriage and stood out even among the architectural luxury St-Petersburg by its strict and great beauty.
Full list of performances